Lewis and Clark Trail

Monday, August 28, 2006

23 August 2006

Woke up today late. I did not get started until about 10:15. Lost Trail Pass was harder than I expected. Took a rest there and talked to a couple of guys who were very interested in my gear. They talked to me about their backpacking days [which I assume were come years ago]. They took the photo that appears in an earlier post. They talked about trails back in Michigan they had hiked when what I really wanted to do was move on. I ate while they talked.

I started up Chief Joseph’s Pass. More climbing. Then nice downhills. The real problem today is that I was up against a head wind while also climbing. I picked up a tail wind from Chief Joseph’s pass to Wisdom and then crosswinds until Jackson.

I got to the lodge at Jackson at 6:30 and they had sprinklers going in the tent camping area. I found a dry spot and waited on the people I met earlier in the day.

While I was passing the entrance to Big Hole Battlefield, there was a couple coming out on a strange bike. I sped up to catch them and they saw my fully loaded self and stopped. They were on a hybrid tandem (like a recumbent in front and a regular bike in back. Their names are Nancy Nelson and Dan Fender and they are doing the Bike-centennial route three weeks at a time. They were also heading to Jackson so, when I passed them later I asked them if they wanted to meet for dinner. They agreed and so we did. We had a nice conversation about biking, computers, etc. and I got to ask about their bike and how they work on the whole tandem thing. Nancy lost her left foot six years ago and she says that she generally has as much power as before. Pretty cool. They have a website (www.pofsea.org). You can see a photo of them and their bike at this address (click on Three Legs Across America).


The lodge here is nice but pricy.