Lewis and Clark Trail

Monday, August 21, 2006

18 August 2006

Up and gone from Kamiah by 9:40. I saw my first of a number of ospreys. I also rode along for a few minutes with a white0talied deer doe and her fawn as the sprinted along the river bank and then up and over the road and up the mountainside as if it were a flat plain. My goal is Jerrry Johnson campground (USFS). That will put me in striking distance of Lolo Pass tomorrow (still 24 miles shy).It is a day that begins with gentle up hills and then gets harder. By the time I reach Jerry Johnson, it is almost 7:00 pm and beginnin to get dusky and cold. I am tired, dew is falling and I need to get camp set up and dinner cooked. Minestrone, yum.

I made a fire and took a sponge bath next to it to stay warm. It is very dewy because the forest service clear cut the campground because of some root fungus. They might have overdone it some.

I am in bed by 10:30 and wake up to wet tent and wet gear that puts me behind the next day.

No significant thoughts about Lewis and Clark in 2 days. I am concentrating on going somewhere too much.