Lewis and Clark Trail

Monday, August 28, 2006

22 August 2006


I woke up at the KOA in Missoula only to discover that the “all you can eat” pancake breakfast is only a weekend thing. Bummer.

Headed through Lolo, Hamilton, Darby and finally made it to Sula.

There are lots of fires burning here so I rode for most of the day with my bandana over my nose and mouth (see photo) after dipping it in the Bitterroot River. Trapper Peak, which I saw the other day while driving, you can’t even see anymore. I got a flat when I pulled over next to the river.

About five miles from Sula I passed a place called Mustang Alli’s and they advertised shakes. I went in and asked if they made them from real ice cream and the answer was yes and they even had malt. Yummy. While there, a guy in a car came in and asked where a particular road was (route 38). We found it on the map. About 30 miles back. Not the kind of mistake you would make if on a bicycle.

I got to the campground in Sula at about 6:45. A pretty good day of riding, mostly up, and I felt good the whole time.

There is one other group tent camping and five camper trailers here. The son of one group caught a rainbow trout in the kid’s fishing pond. He was ecstatic. They will fry it up tomorrow.
I met a guy named Julian Wilson who is from Waco, Texas. We chatted Texas and Lewis and Clark and my ride while I cooked my dinner.