Lewis and Clark Trail

Monday, August 21, 2006

17 August 2006

Awoke after 4 hours of sleep courtesy of the people in campsite 77.

I fixed a flat the night before and awoke to another in front this morning. Still made it out at 8:40. Stopped for food at the Albertsons and discovered that I had not checked zippers and my charger had fallen out. Back to Hell's Gate where it had been turned in by a guy out walking his dog. Back to Lewiston where I emerge at 10:40.

It was a horrible day. By the time I reached the town of Lenore, I had pulled over on what lkittle shoulder there was and sobbed - tears of anger at the people in camp site 77, frustration at a road with lots of debris and traffic and no shoulder, frustration with my own mistakes of the morning and sheer exhaustion. I got that out of my systema nd did the only thing I could - got my buttt back on the bike and headed down the road.


At Lenore I stopped for a drink break and a bag of jerky (its amazing how a little meat can turn a day around). I passed a guy coming out with a 12 pack of Bud. He asked wehre I was headed and then asked that I send him a post card from St. Louis so he would know I had made the trip safely. That raised my spirits some.

Back on the bike and I saw a bald eagle fishing on the Clearwater River. That raised my spirits a little more until I realized that one of the reasons I am doing so poorly today is that I have a flat in the rear (that I tought I had reapaired last night). I pulled over and pumped it up enough to get me to the rest area a mile away (no sholuder on which to work here).

Found a slow leak and fixed it. back on the bike. By the time I was fifteen miles shy of Kamiah (pronounced Kam-ee-eye), I was at the end of what I could do - physically, mentally and emotionally. I pulled over and stuck out my thumb.

A natural resourcs officer at Dworshak Dam back in Orofino picked me up. We talked bicycling and ecology until Kamiah. They have evidently found a wolverine den at the dam. He recommended the Clearwater Motel where Tina gave me the "Lumberjack rate" after hearing my sad saga.

I showered, ate dinner at place called Ronnie's and checked all my tubes by submerging them in the sink. Lots of patching going on.

My original goal was Lowell. Then Kooskia (pronouned Kooskie). Now I am 32 miles behind schedule and very tired.

Sleep glorious sleep...but not enough to make up for the night before.