Lewis and Clark Trail

Monday, August 21, 2006

14 August 2006


I went from Maryhill State Park to Umatilla, Oregon. This was almost entirely on the Washington side of the river. 82 miles of nothing. I stopped at the one "cafe" listed in Tod Rogers' book but it is really a bar that doesn't open until 5:30 pm. Luckily it had a water spigot outside. I also got water from a BNSF post along the way.

I got to Umatilla and checked out a couple of options. The Corps of Engineers has a campground on the Washington side of the river. I pulled up and the two guys wouldn't open the window because I "didn't have a motor". I asked about tnet camping and they pointed to a lawn being watered with sprinklers. "There it is", they said. "The nice thing is that the showers are free." They were obviously more interested in being funny that being helpful. I went across the river to the private rv park. Nice spot under a tree (photo).

Along the way I passed a group of 5 cyclists moving fast with no bags. They were doing the L&C with support and were 57 days out of Virgina. Amazingly fast even unloaded.

I fell today while chatting with two highway surveyors and broke the screen of my iPod. It still plays but I can't use the onscreen menus.

I saw a dead rattlesnake on the road today. I cut off its rattles and took them with me.

I also saw lots of carrots along the roadside today. Yes, carrots.

I made 90 miles toay.