Lewis and Clark Trail

Thursday, August 24, 2006

24 August 2006 - Quik Update

I have about 15 minutes before the public library closes here in Twin Bridges.

I left Misoula 3 days ago and headed to Sula, Montana. Nice 90 mile ride. Some climbing.

Stayed at an ex-KOA campground and met a guy from Texas and his wife (more on them later when I have time).

I then headed up to Lost Trail Pass (7000 feet). 14 miles of tough climb. It took me 3 hours. Really slow. I met some people up at the visitors center and they took my picture at the Montana Idaho Border (once again). Then I headed to Chief Joseph Pass (7240 feet) and then down into the Big Hole, a valley in Montana.

Big Hole Battlefield is here where the US Military tried to kill the Nez Perce Indians simply because they did not want to go to the reservation but instead wanted to go to Canada. It is a pretty bummer story that I will have commentary on later. I met a couple touring as I got to the Battlefield and it turns out that we were both planning on staying in Jackson. I biked ahead of them and we had dinner. More on them later as well.

I awoke this morning to a light frost at 6470 feet. Biked up to Big Hole Pass (7360 feet elevation) and then over Badger Pass (6760 feet) and then it was 13 miles of downhill and flat to Dillon.

I got there at about 2:20 pm having left at 9:20 this morning. The trip to Twin Bridges was easy and I arrived at about 5:30.

I saw my first pronghorn since I have been on the bike. I also saw 2 elk (another first on the bike) and lots of road kill (subject of another post).

Cheers, they are kicking me out.

Paul