Lewis and Clark Trail

Monday, August 21, 2006

19 August 2006

Biking toward Lolo Pass. Pass through Powell and stop at the Lochsa Lodge for lunch. 11 miles out of 24 down to get to Lolo Pass. It took me 1:15 to get to Powell and the remaining 13 miles to Lolo Pass take me an addition 2:15. Tough climbing. The Lochsa Lodge was built in 1929 but burned down in 2001 and was rebuilt in 2002. It was nice.

Lolo Pass was nice. Nice to get there. Nice to contemplate the continental divide. I have been going uphill since August 10 and now I go down the other side. I got a guy to take my picture at the new visitor's center.


Five miles of 5% grade after Lolo Pass and then gentle hills and flat to Missoula. It is disorienting to have the Lolo Creek flowing in the same direction as I am.

I get to the KOA campground in Missoula and set up camp. First time I have had cell phone service since Lewiston. I phone home.

It is time to rest. Time to Blog. Time to prepare for the remainder of the trip across the Rockies.