Lewis and Clark Trail

Sunday, August 13, 2006

12 August 2006

71.46 miles to Hood River.

I woke up and packed my things and went to catch an Amtrak bus to Portland (more on this maybe later).

I got in to Portland at 10:15 and headed out over the Broadway Bridge (3 cross
ing of that same bridge in three days) got onto Sandy Blvd which took me all the way to Troutdale where I picked up the Columbia Rives Historic Highway. Long steady climb to the Oregon Women's Forum overlook (great views) and then down hill from there. Many beautiful views along the way and lots of waterfalls. Oddly (or not), people were thromged around those that could be seen from the road but if you had to walk more and 100 yards, there would only be four or five people there.

At Bridal Veil Falls, a couple touring tandem
pulled up behind me. I asked them where they were headed and they said, "Hood River, if we make it." They looked like they might not. I never saw them again.

After the historic highway, It was down onto I-84 which was fast and smooth with some bike trails thrown in. I stopped and gathered black berries along the second of these trails. A real treat. When you read Lewis and Clark's journals they speak of finding food along the way and, even though it was a survival issue for them, they seemed joyful to find fruits (somtimes eating so much that they made themselves sick). There is a new bike trail from Bonneville to Cascade Locks which kept me off the interstate more than I was expecting.

I called Aaron Shiels who is in Hood River for a wedding and he said I could stay with him. I got to Hood River at 7:45 which means I covered the distance in 9 hours but with lots of stops for picture taking.


The photo to the right is of a trail for bikes. You put your tires in the ruts cut at the sides and apply your breaks while guiding your bike down the stairs. Better than the other options but sill difficult.