Lewis and Clark Trail

Sunday, August 13, 2006

11 August 2006

Today I went from Ranier to Astoria/Fort Clatsop. (69 miles total).

A couple of tough hills and same head winds as yesterday.

I fell once when the wind blew me over onto the soft shoulder of the road.

Clatsop Crest is this killer hill about 20 miles east of Astoria. It was built with occasional turnouts which were spaced nicely for the frequent rest stops I had to take. Astoria has very few traffic lights which make it difficult for a bicyclist to turn. It doesn't matter as they seem more concerned with tourism interests on the water.

The annual regata festival is this weekend making traffic and lodging pretty tough.

I biked over to Fort Clatsop and got there 45 minutes before closing
(probably all you need anyway). I went down to the fort and it looks as depressing as Lewis and Clark described it. I can't imagine spending a winter in the structure that is currently there (a recent reconstruction as the original reconstruction burned down last October 3).

For the first time in the trip, I wonder if I will make it. It has been a very hard first two days.